The herb catnip works effectively as a natural repellent for cockroaches. The active ingredient nepetalactone offers the repellency property. Plus, it is non-toxic to humans and pets, except cats.
Catnip is not that harsh and won’t kill roaches, but it’s a great option for preventing them from coming back after you’ve got rid of them.
All you need to do is, place small satchels of catnip around the areas of your home where you most often see roaches.
- Put a few fresh catnip leaves in small porous bags or sachets.
- Leave them in areas where you see cockroaches.
- Change the leaves after a few days, and repeat as needed.
- Simmer 1 tablespoon of catnip leaves in 2 cups of water for 5 minutes.
- Strain and allow it to cool.
- Spray this solution on kitchen cabinets, or anywhere you suspect the presence of roaches at night.