Internet usage has grown tremendously in the past few year throughout the world. With this emergence, internet related scams, crimes and pornography have also seen tremendous growth. Mostly children and youngster are who fall prey to such internet malpractices. In this article, you can find some useful tips about the influence of internet on children and 11 guidelines which parents should take care of.
Internet access can make our child more creative and communicative if they are used in a productive manner.
A survey conducted by United States Department of Commerce shows that internet usage can improve academic growth and expose children to activities that happen throughout the world.
Though there are tons of advantages of using the internet, parents have to take care of few things in order to make use of technology in a productive way for their child.
- You might like our top articles in parenting category
11 Guidelines which parents should take care for controlling the influence of internet on children
- Parents should have an eye on their internet activities right from the moment you introduce the internet to them
- Advise them to inform the parents if they are facing any personal problems in the internet or social media
- If the child had informed the parents about any suspicious activities they had to face from the internet, then don’t completely abandon internet access from them. Instead, have an open discussion with them and solve their problem efficiently. Make awareness about the downsides of the internet and ask them to be cautious and stay away from such malpractices
- Teach them to use privacy settings while sharing personal information and photos on social media. Never share personal photos in public preferences.
- Teach them about the reporting and blocking features in social media which will be useful when they come across social media abuses.
- Take notice of the child if they are found using the internet for long hours privately.
- Inside the home, it’s always better to place the computer in a public area where everyone in the home has easy access them. Children’s won’t have the tendency to fall into pornographic addiction if we create such an open atmosphere for web surfing.
- Install parental control software on the PC, and block all malicious and pornographic website from accessing.
- Don’t give the administrative control of the PC to your child. You can grant access to admin privileges whenever necessary if found the reasons are genuine.
- Monitor if there are any noticeable changes in the behavior of your child. These behavioral changes might be like avoiding the parents and siblings at home, using offensive words and engage long unusual hours with their friends.
- Advice them never to share personal information or photos with anyone on the internet whom they don’t know personally. There are even cases of using fake identities of persons you know personally and use them for abuse. Take extra care of such incidents.
Final words for parents
Taking good care of the above-said guidelines will certainly be very effective for putting a limit on the Influence of internet on children. And the last word for all parents, the Internet is getting more populated with mischiefs and scams day by day, all we can do is monitor our child’s web activities to ensure safe usage.